Saturday, January 22, 2011

Senior BFA Exhibit: April 1-May 1, 2010




In the space of time between the faculty exhibit and the BFA exhibit, I had a chance to visit Europe for ten days. Of course, art was the highlight of the trip (as was visiting the GSA and ECA campuses), but I am always curious about how professional exhibit designers use the space in their galleries. My eyes were filled with a wealth of exhibiting inventiveness, but I was particularly inspired by the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow, Scotland. When I attended the museum, most of it was shut down for an exhibit change but I was allowed access to the second floor exhibit. I remember a particular piece that was installed in the hallway. The art-objects were actually inside an adjacent room, and I could only see the installation by looking through windows with shutters that opened and closed. There was no glass in the window which tempted me into leaning into the space. Even thought the museum was crowded with people, the windows and shutters made me feel like I was having an intimate aesthetic experience. The act of tucking art away, making the patron really look for art, that stayed with me as I went back to my own gallery space. I wanted the BFA exhibit to be maze-like in nature, with fake walls installed in order for almost every student to have three walls that belonged entirely to them. The idea is that the patron's body made the fourth wall, and the act of looking at that particular art belonged solely to one patron at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment