Saturday, January 22, 2011

Parowan Gap: Faculty Exhibit February 4- March 13, 2010




This exhibit taught me about how to work with artists so that our respective functions in the art gallery can work symbiotically. The particular challenge of this exhibit was to combine the studio works of 15 art-faculty members who have a particular sense of how they want their work exhibited. Our faculty is exceptionally talented in drawing, painting, ceramics, and photography; because of the sophistication of their work I wanted to meet with every working faculty member and discuss how they envisioned their work to be displayed. I also learned the essential art of deadlines.

The exhibit was a two-room exhibit; one hung with lots of lighting and the other room kept as dark as possible. The need for the extra lighting in the former room was to highlight the floor installation piece completed by Susan Harris. I had the opportunity to assist in the installations of the artwork, which was a new experience for me as usually the artist would simply drop off the work to me and hope for the best. I appreciated how particular our faculty was about how their work would be installed. That kind of care for their art convinced me that these artists have thought their craft through to the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment